Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Pew. Pewpew. Boom. Ow. (splat). 0xC0000005.

So ~100 minutes ago, after I got my new memory, I got my Provisional Purple Test Creature's bullets to damage my Provisional Purple Test Enemy Creature. Now I need to make the Game Engine Gods kill creatures with 0 or less HP.

I'm...not quite fully satisfied with the new RAM. At my now-ancient board's *clears throat* blazing DDR2-667 default speed for the sticks, a short Memtest had no errors, but a longer one at DDR2-800 gave over 9000300 after ~13 (or was it ~18?) minutes, and an attempt at its rated DDR2-1066 speed and timings simply didn't make it to POST and I had to flip the power supply switch just to turn it off. It seems to be doing better than my old "consistently bad bits at 5955 MiB" memory, but I still got a blue screen (something about a SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION in ndis.sys...I had it on standby and was away form the screen as it happened so I'm checking it via BlueScreenView now). I'm honestly not sure what to do here—coast along until the hard drives just rot bit by bit, exchange either of the sets of memory, get a DDR3 SDRAM board (and matching new memory and CPU, for a total of USD500-ish), give up on my self-build and buy a prebuilt laptop or desktop (and gain less freedom and more silly adware), sell Vralanea t-shirts, e-panhandle, ...

My greatest fears are that I have an airflow problem, that those times the PC didn't POST harmed the new chips, and that the board itself is starting to give out. In any of those cases, there goes whatever passes for My Budget. Fun times.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home